Those who do not receive a call and wish to participate can call
1-877-229-8493 & enter passcode 114139...
There will be opportunities to provide your input and ask any questions you may have.
During the election Larry Miller said he couldn't support any reform in which all the candidates names did not appear on the ballot. That seemed to be his only criterion. But I know he was as annoyed as I was that the Liberals won their majority with less than 40% of the vote. Larry, along with the Conservative Party, wants to see a referendum on electoral reform. In the past this has been a recipe for no reform at all.
The only reform that would satisfy both concerns (which are legitimate) is Proportional Rep with an Open Ballot ... a system that's now used in a number of countries and the one favoured in an extensive report on electoral reform done by the Canadian Law Association. “ David McLaren
For more, see: http://www.fairvote.ca/
PLEASE share your experience, comments or questions below this article
more details ...
As part of the government consultation on electoral reform, MPs have been invited to hold town halls. This is our chance to show up and speak up for proportional representation! What the MPs hear from constituents at the town halls - how much support there is for proportional representation - will be reported back to the all-party committee. Please call if you can and invite others.
Opponents of reform are organizing and attending these events. Unfortunately Mr. Miller has not been a supporter of PR in the past. However, he is one of a handful of Conservatives who are offering constituents this kind of opportunity. We need to be there to speak up for a vote that counts.
When: Tuesday September 27, 7:00pm
How to Join: CALL 1-877-229-8493 ENTER PASSCODE 114139
Share on facebook here
If you are able to attend the town hall please let me know so I can touch base with you afterwards. Please let us know how the town hall goes by sending a summary to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are are constituent and not able to attend: Please email Larry at Larry.Miller@parl.gc.ca or call his constituency office at 519-371-1059. Identify yourself as a constituent who is unable to attend the town hall but would like to let him know you support proportional representation and ask that your feedback be included in his report.
At town halls and consultations, we are focusing on communicating our core values:
- Proportional Representation: 30% of the vote should equal 30% of the seats
- Voter Equality: every voter should be able to elect an MP who reflects his/her values
- Diversity: Our Parliament should reflect our diversity, including the political diversity within each region
- Collaboration: proportional representation means parties working together, and policies supported by parties representing a majority of voters
Thanks so much for your help at this important time.
Fair Vote Canada Action Coordinator
P.S. Please take a moment and send Fair Vote Canada's submission to ERRE to your MP using this easy platform!
1) How the all-party committee's guiding principles relate to PR
2) Videos: PR-STV (see also STV+), MMP and MMP with ranked ballot and Rural-Urban Proportional Representation. (links to printable pamphlets here)
3) Evidence for Proportional Representation - a good summary of the research on PR.
4) Make Every Vote Count - a printable one page handout for events
5) Myth/Fact Sheet - a two page handout addressing common myths